Monday, February 25, 2008

Martian Child

OMGosh this movie was awesome....being adopted myself I could so relate to this movie. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry ( I even saw my macho husband get teary eyed) and it will make you really think about how an adopted child may or may not feel. I had an awesome life but I will share a few of my feelings I had growing up.

I can so relate to the little guy in the movie wearing his sunglasses. I even asked my husband if he has ever done this. I find myself wearing my sunglasses when I am outside alot even if there is no sun, not only to keep the sun out but as a security measure to myself. Like I can hide behind them and no one can see me. Call it an insecurity or something...like my glasses can protect me from anything.

I have always been insecure. I am afraid of losing the people in my life, and I am afraid of doing something that may disappoint them.

Growing up I often wondered why, why my biological parents didn't keep me, and who did I look like? I was a homebody because I was afraid if I left my home that I would come back and my adoptive parents would be gone. I often wonder why I have some of the health problems I have....which one of my parents had them. All kinds of things ran through my head. I know my bio parents wanted me and they did the best thing for me but there were still days those thoughts would pass through my head.

I have always been told I am a beautiful person inside and out but for some reason I have never felt that way about myself. I guess it has to do with the insecurity thing.

I don't want anyone to think I had a bad life because I had AWESOME adoptive parents that made my life wonderful but there were always these thoughts that went through my head. I guess I am just not confident about myself...not good I know.

The day I gave birth to my firstborn was a day I will NEVER forget. I was able to look into her beautiful blue eyes and see a piece of me....someone that looked like me, something that was my very own.

I hope to be able to help Aiden through these feelings if he ever has them. To let him know its normal to feel this way if he does, to answer any questions he has and to let him know that I will always be here for him to the end. I pray I can help him not to have the feelings I did about myself growing up and that he will grow to be a strong and confident man.

I hope I have not made myself out to be a loser due to the lack of confidence I have in myself but I wanted to share some feelings with my blogger buddies. Love you all.

16 comments:

Our Family of 5 said...

You are by no means a loser my friend! You are human and totally normal! And I for one thing you are AMAZING! You ARE beautiful! Inside and OUT! And I LOVE YA!!

Our Family of 5 said...

And apparently I can't type or spell! I THINK you are Amazing! Not THING!

JuJu - said...

I just posted about this movie - it was amazing:)

Never knew you were adopted - you have so much to share with us. How blessed your little guy is to share that bond with you .

Thanks for opening up your heart and letting us inside. We all have insecurities of some kind - you are not a lsoer - you are a great Mom and cool friend:)

Thanks again - maybe you need to speak at Gfest this year - from an adoptee's point of view:)

Great Post!

JUlia:)

Natalie C. said...

I am putting it in my NetFlix now.

Kim said...

I just watched the movie last night/this morning (it got too late last night for me to finish it)

I also agree that I thought it was an amazing movie.

Thanks also for your thoughts as an adoptee. I'm sorry you have had those insecurities and it's always good to hear about things from the adoptees perspective.

Aiden is very lucky to have you as a mommy!!

Soltana said...

You are a GREAT person:)

I only "know" you through blog world you but..you are no loser!!

LOVE YA

Kelli said...

I so need to get out and see a movie. It has been way too long!!! Thank you for sharing things from your prospective. You are an amazing strong person!!!! We are all so lucky to have been brought together through adoption!!

Kelli said...

Oh one more thing, have you gotten Aiden's immigration packet yet? Remember when we were doing all the paperwork? That seemed like forever ago and I thought that we would have received then by now.

Greta Jo said...

Thanks for sharing. I second the first comment.
I hope we are able to meet one day soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jeck said...

Thanks for sharing!!! Great to know thoughts from an adoptee prospective!

HUGS!

Becca said...

Christina - this is an awesome post, and you're an awesom person. Thanks for sharing.

BTW - I cried my way through that movie!

Peace and Hugs,
Becca

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh what a moving post!!!! You are a FANTASTIC mother and love your children very much. I cannot wait to watch this movie now.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nikki said...

I think I may go have to see it- I have heard from lots of people it is awesome!